RIM announced ‘Blackberry protect’ last July as a limited beta service. Now it is available as open beta for all the Blackberry users. There are several changes and new features added from the older version as suggested by the beta testers.
Features of Blackberry Protect
- Locate your phone on a map via GPS and cell-tower triangulation.
- Lock the phone or protect your device with a password remotely.
- Loud Ring feature lets your phone to ring loudly for one minute even if it’s in the silent mode.
- ‘Lost and found’ feature lets you send a message and contact information to your phone when it’s lost.
- Backup or wipe the data on the phone (Including the memory card) remotely.
- Periodically backup contacts, calendar, bookmarks and text messages daily, weekly or monthly over the air (OTA).
- Save data by backing up updated contents rather that everything, restricting backup when phone is in roaming or backup via Wi-fi only.
- Wirelessly restore backed-up data on a new Blackberry device.
The features could be activated from the‘Blackberry protect’ web portal remotely. The app is now available in North America and some parts of Latin America only. Expected to rollout all over United States in couple of months and in other countries soon. ‘Blackberry protect’ is not available for handsets that use Blackberry Enterprise Server or Blackberry Enterprise Server Express.
Platform: Blackberry OS 4.6 or higher
Download Link: Blackberry Protect