Don’t know what made BSNL – The PSU Telecom Operator of India, to reduce its call tariffs all of a sudden, and the introduction of 3G services in BSNL, prior to any private players. Doesn’t it seems really amazing? Well.. This may be a reaction to the the upcoming launch of Mobile Number Portability in India. You must be aware about what MNP (Mobile Number portability) is, as I have discussed about it quite several times in the past.
Well, being a PSU operator, 3G license was being approved for BSNL prior to the release of its spectrum for other private players this made BSNL and MTNL launch 3G prior to private players. In the occasion of launch of 3G services at Chennai, BSNL officials also declared the reduction of its STD calling tariff with the introduction of ‘India Golden Fifty Plan’. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, M Karunanidhi inaugurated the services by making a video call to Union Communications Minister, A Raja using the 3G services. You can read about the tariffs and other details in the coming lines..
- Launched at Chennai by Tamil Nadu C.M, M Karunanidhi
- Services to be made available for both prepaid and postpaid subscribers
- Company unveils its plan to invest Rs. 2700 crores to launch services in 700 Indian Towns
- After MTNL, BSNL is the 2nd PSU and mobile operator to launch 3G services in India
- Tariff per month varies from Rs. 350 to Rs. 1350 with data usage plans ranging from Rs. 3 to Rs. 2 per MB depending on the tariff plans
India Golden Fifty Plan:
- Launched simultaneously with 3G services in Tamil Nadu and Chennai telecom circle
- Subscribers can call all over India to any network for a flat rate of 50 paisa per minute
- India Golden Fifty plan users will be charged Rs. 375 per month including taxes.
- Plan will be applicable from 1st of March 2009
- As of now there are no official information about launch of this plan for other circles
- Hope, though late atleast, number portability and other stringent rules by TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) will act as eye opener for PSU operators, specially BSNL.
- Related Reading: 3G Launched Commercially in MTNL – New Delhi