- Idea Offers Paperless Ticket Travel for Bandra Worli Sea Link & Delhi Noida Flyover; SMS & Get Free Tickets
- Nokia launches Asha 308 & 309 Smartphones in India
- Spice unveils ICS based Stellar Horizon Pro Mi 505 for Rs. 8,499
- Uninor Launches 2 Special Tariff Vouchers for Tamilnadu Customers
- Nokia Announced 2 New Handsets – Nokia X2-01 and C2-01
Those who are still unaware about Mobile Number Portability (MNP), it is a service using which a mobile phone subscriber can migrate from one operator to another without having to change his/her mobile number. For example, you can opt to choose for Voafone services on your Airtel number or vice-versa, courtesy MNP.
As of now mobile number porting can be done only within the same telecom circle and not on inter-state or inter-telecom circle basis. Meaning, you can only port the number in the same state/circle where the mobile number originates. But good news is that, inter-state MNP has already been approved by TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) and telecom operators will be soon introducing inter-state MNP services too.
How to port your mobile number?
Its simple, all you’ve to do is
- Generate UPC (Unique Porting Code) from the same number that you wish to port (procedure mentioned below)
- Clear all your pending dues (if your’s is a post-paid mobile connection)
- Visit a mobile outlet or nearby store of the new operator along with:
-The UPC code thus generated
– A photo and a copy of your identity proof
- Pay the requisite porting fees of Rs. 19/-
- Get your number ported to new operator within the stipulated time frame of 15 days
Generating UPC for Mobile Number Portability:
- Send an SMS: PORT<space>Mobile Number (that is to be ported) to 1900
For ex. PORT 9812345678
- Your existing operator will immediately provide with an 8 digit alpha-numeric porting code that you need to submit to the operator you wish to opt to along with relevant documents. (The unique porting code will be valid only for 24 hours)
FAQs related to Mobile Number Portability:
- Can I migrate a number from one state to another via MNP?
Unfortunately, currently you can only migrate to another operator within the same circle. But inter-state portability will be launched in India very shortly.
- What are the minimum and maximum time specified for porting number from one operator to another?
Porting time could be anything between 24 hours to 4 days.
- What are the charges for Porting to another operator?
As mentioned above, service providers can charge a maximum of Rs. 19 for porting a number .
- Who is eligible for availing mobile number portability?
Any customer having a mobile number older than 90 days can migrate to another operator with the same number. He/She will have to wait for another 90 days before being able to port their number again.
- Will my number be dead during the porting process?
As per the details available, a number will remain dead for 2 hours approximately during the porting process. Fortunately, the 2 hours downtime will be between 10 PM and 5 AM IST.
- Can I migrate my post-paid number to another operator with prepaid services or vice-versa?
Yes, that can be done once you clear off all pending dues with the current operator.
- Will my prepaid balance carry-forward to new operator?
No. All remaining balance on your mobile will get lapsed and will not be carried-forward to the new operator. Thus, its advisable to completely use the available talk-time before moving to another operator.
- Can I port my CDMA number to GSM operator or vice versa?
Yes, with the introduction of MNP, moving from CDMA to GSM or vice-versa is possible too, but your existing mobile will be rendered useless if you opt to move from CDMA to GSM technology.
- Can I port my landline number to a mobile service provider?
Porting a landline number to a mobile operator is possible in countries like US though, for now, Indian govt. has planned to launch MNP only for mobile phone users. India might witness landline number portability in the future.
- Will I get any freebies from the operator I am porting my number to?
During the launch of MNP in India, various freebies were offered by new operator to welcome its customer. Do check with the new service providers’ customer care if any welcome offer is available currently.
Have any questions?
Feel free to drop a line below via comments and we shall look into it.
(Image credits: Wat Blog)