Google Assistant on various Android Smartphones can be accessed by long-pressing the home button on any screen. This is a very handy feature and one can really make the most of it. But apparently many do not like this gesture and wants to completely disable Google Assistant from the home key. If you are amongst those simply follow the tutorial mentioned below.
This setting can be different on various smartphones having different manufacturer skins on top of Android. Hence we shall be guiding you to disable Google Assistant on stock Android, Xiaomi’s MIUI and Samsung devices.
Disable Google Assistant from Home Button on Stock Android
- On a stock Android device head towards the “Settings” panel and click on “Apps & notifications“.
- Now to go to “Default Apps” and click on “Assist and voice input“.
- On the next screen, you will see a list of apps with Google selected as the assist app.
- Choose “None” to disable Assistant on the home button.
- Long pressing the home button on a stock Android phone will have no actions or apps supported.
Disable Google Assistant from Home Button on MIUI
The removal process here is a bit tricky as the placement of the setting is a bit different on a phone running MIUI.
- Open the “Settings” panel and scroll to find “Advanced Settings” and click on it.
- On the next page, scroll down a bit and click on “Button and gesture shortcuts“.
- Now under “Functional Shortcuts“, click on “Launch Google Assistant“.
- Inside “Optional Gestures and Buttons” head click on “None”.
- The same page also gives you various other key combinations to activate Assistant for your disposal. This is totally optional.
- Finally, you have disabled Google Assistant on MIUI from the home key.
Disable Google Assistant from Home Button on Samsung Devices
- Open the “Settings” panel and click on “Apps“.
- Click on the three-dot icon at the top-right corner and select “Default apps” from the menu.
- Select the “Device assistance” option.
- Once again click on “Device assistance” on the next screen.
- and simply select “None” to disable it.
Hope you could disable Google Assistant from the home screen on your Android Smartphone. Simultaneously you can also completely disable Google Assistant from your phone if required.